Saturday, July 5, 2008

Arrived

This probably won't be very long, but I wanted to let people know that I arrived and am doing great. It's not really any hotter than KY right now, so that's good. Plus, we've been spending most of our time under the mango trees (which are huge) anyway. I'm a little unclear about where exactly I am. I think it's called Kombo and it is either part of Serekunda or very near it. We'll be here until July 9 I think until we head to our training villages.

We found out today which languages we'll be speaking. I will be learning Pulaar along with 3 other people (of 15 that I am with). Apparently Pulaar is useful all over Africa, so that's exciting. We'll be in the training villages for 10 weeks. This is where we'll be having our language, cross cultural, security and safety, and technical training classes. We had a few hours of language today trying to learn greetings in the 3 main languages and then more after I found out I was learning Pulaar. "Salaamaleenkum" is useful for all languages. I like the languages a lot.

We've eaten like gods so far. We're all pretty sure they're just trying to fatten us up for when we go to the training villages. Last night there was a get together at the house of one of the associate directors' houses with great food that some other volunteers had made. There were two people from Ohio who had had Cincinnati chili mailed to them and prepared it. Cincinnati chili in Gambia. Crazy.

Alright, well I really don't know when I'll get to write anything again. Possibly no more posts for 10 weeks. But please, send mail. Apparently I'm going to be in a very small village. I'm sure I'll need something to read. This is all the time I have for now. Take care.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yay you made it!

Anonymous said...

underneath the mango tree, me honey, and me can watch for the moon.

that's a song from Dr. No.