Sunday, July 6, 2008

We had some free time

I found some more free time to write on here. It's tough, because there are only 4 computers in the PC office. Anyway, I thought I could write some more.

So...we went to the beach today? What? We started the day by going to a boarding house where PCVs stay while they're in town. It's a nice clean place for volunteers to stay for a small fee. Anyway, one of the agriculture and forestry (apparently they're called "Ag Fo") volunteers showed us around the gardens that have been started all around the compound. It was really interesting. They have three pretty sizeable compost pits and gardens everywhere. Cucumber, tomatoes, brocolli, lettuce, and some local stuff. We heard a little about different ways they're trying to encourage gardening in the villages (especially with the impending food shortages due to high prices) and how we can help. We'll be learning more about this in our training villages and we'll be given handouts and other resources. I'm really excited to start a garden.

I say that, but I might be in a city for my actual placement. We still don't know.

A little about the schedule...
*Arrived Wednesday,
*Spending a week here before going to training villages,
*10 weeks in training villages where we'll be living in family compounds (which I will describe more when I get back),
*We'll be placed in our actual placements for the remainder of two years (where we have to start building relationships all over again...yay)

Oh, yeah. Back to the beach...yup. We went to the beach in Fajara. And it was beautiful and relaxing and amazing. We had some free time and we were being educated about bumsters, which are people who beg for money or are part of the sex tourism that apparently goes on. From what I hear it started with Europeans coming and asking for it, so now it is a way to make money for some people, which is really unfortunate. But we didn't see any. I actually haven't had many experiences with any people on the street. After India, The Gambia is calm. People leave you alone for the most part. You might get called "Toubab" from time to time, but whatever. I am a toubab (foreigner).

Alright, well it's dinner time. I'm trying my best to put on weight. It's not working.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

beach? somebody sign me up for the peace corps. shiiiiiiiiiiiit.

not much going on here. i pulled a tick out my head the other day. i think i have lyme disease now. oh well, sometimes you just gotta get lyme disease. I don't know what else to tell you.

the reds have won five in a row. that is all.

one love.

Colin said...

I think I'm going to try to get a "group package" together for you so a bunch of us can split the cost of mail to Africa. Any requests other than books?

Anonymous said...

Steve, watch the potty mouth.

And Colin, books are a great idea. Maybe some Gold Bond. Skin diseases are pretty prevalent due to the constant sweating. Mando music or tabs printed from online would be cool. Um...other than that I'll have a better idea after training is over. I'm sort of clueless right now. Oh, but the postal service apparently has two sizes of Flat Rate International boxes for $37 plus tax. This is what I'm told at least.

Oh, and of course lots of letters to read would be great. Maybe colored pencils or something for da kidz. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Potty mouth? Thats all I get? A reprimand?

I'm over here dying of lyme disease, and all I get is a "watch the potty mouth?"

Meanwhile, perfectly healthy Colin gets an entire paragraph. I have a theory why. Its because Colin talked about giving you a package.

You always were selfish, Caswell. You would never try to help other people, especially those in need.

Guess what? I have a mustache.

Also, I have some things to put in the package! Including two letters from Bhutan that you recently recieved. How exciting is that?

Gotta go. A triple meat Totinos is calling my name.

cbarnes said...

AH! I check your blog like thrice daily. I'm so excited for you. I'm sad I missed that 3am phone call from you when you left. I'm going to send you some killer goodies in a little while. I miss knowing that you are a phone call away! What's the food like? Squat toilets?!

love, love, love,
Mamma Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Hey bro,

Glad to hear its going well. That’s really exciting about the beach and the people you are meeting. I like how you are picking up the Peace Corps lingo…”ag fos” and all. I find it really hard to put on weight also. If only you could drink copious amounts of beer then you could get a beer belly...alas. I'm done here in Ga. at the end of this week, and will be on a road trip for the next couple weeks visiting friends and family. I've decided not to get the Japanese encephalitis, and rabies vaccines due to the high cost, and because I like to live on the edge.

Stay safe , I miss you man.
Alban

Anonymous said...

new update on the reds...they are sucking. Griffy was traded to the White Socks. I went to the game last night and they fell 7 to 4 against the Houston Astronomicals. I wish I had better news... alas