Saturday, June 28, 2008

Where I'm Going, What I'm Doing

I'm going to Africa. To be more specific I'm going to The Gambia, which is in West Africa. Yes, "The" is actually part of the name. I leave Monday June 30 for 27 months of service with the Peace Corps. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing. I've been told that I'll be teaching math/science, possibly starting computer labs or libraries, developing classroom resources, and training other teachers. I'll either be teaching at a rural middle or high school or at one of the two colleges. I won't find out which until I arrive. This means that I also don't know where in the country I will be living. (It's possible that I'll be in a rural village with no electricity or running water.)

If you're not sure what to expect from this blog, you're not alone. I have no idea what the next 27 months will hold for me. However, I expect that I'm in for quite an experience. As I arrive in the country and begin my service, I'll share any interesting/funny experiences that I have and provide insight into life in The Gambia and as a Peace Corps Trainee and Volunteer. I'll also do my best to post some pictures of my living arrangements and the people who will be in my life for the next two years.

If I don't have electricity, I certainly won't have the internet. However, if this is the case, I will be making periodic trips into larger towns or cities. I'll do my best to post some updates while I have internet access on these trips. In the meantime, feel free to send me some mail. My address for the first 10 weeks will be

Joshua Caswell, PCT
U.S. Peace Corps
PO Box 582
Banjul, The Gambia
West Africa

But toward the end of August, start using this instead:

Joshua Caswell, PCV
U.S. Peace Corps
PO Box 582
Banjul, The Gambia
West Africa

Apparently the difference in PCT and PCV is important. Who knew?

Okay, well now I have to go pack and start freaking out about leaving for 2 years. Wish me luck.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bring me back something Gambian!

Unknown said...

When discussing your assignment with others, I'm continually surprised by how many people are thrown by the name. "The Gambia? Is that really part of the name??" I mean, no one ever questions The Bahamas or The Netherlands.

Anonymous said...

Josh, I think what you are doing is incredible. I've been leaning in the direction of international relations lately, and I would love to hear about this experience of yours. I may even join you in a few years when I graduate. Take care of yourself (and everyone else you encounter, of course).

Colin said...

Bring me back A Gambian.

Colin said...

Also, I put a link to your blog on mine.

shu said...

Send me a postcard with The Gambian on it. Also, I found your blog through Colin's. So thank you Colin. And I too have added it to my blogroll.

ps. I hoped you packed some wet-wipes.

Unknown said...

WHERE ARE YOU